By: Dr. Wesley Ward, DNP, APRN
Here are some tips for controlling your blood sugar and loosing weight. Find a way to make these work for you! They don’t have to be hard but, can make a huge difference in managing your diabetes!
- Eliminate or cut back on sugary drinks and regular soda
- These products are full of sugar and can quickly increase your blood sugar levels
- Replace these with lemon water or fruit infused water. Diet sodas are “okay” but in limited amounts and I don’t really recommend that those be consumed regularly.
- So if you are drinking regular soda or sugary drinks work on how you can cut back or eliminate those from your diet and replace those with healthy options like fruit infused water or lemon water!
- Decreasing Fast Food and eating out!
- Often when we eat out or frequently visit fast food restaurants we don’t make healthy choices, even if we choose a “salad” we tend to use regular dressing which is high in fat and calories.
- One time people tend to eat fast food often is at lunch on work days. Plan for this by packing your lunch at least 3 days a week if not every day!
- If you are eating out frequently or eating fast food often, work first on cutting back, simply trying to stop eating out or fast food “cold turkey” is not likely to be successful. I want you to succeed, so if you are eating out 2-3 times per week try to reduce that to 1 time per week, you will save not only on calories but dollars too!
- Begin Exercising
- There are indoor free walking tracks available in many areas! If you are not exercising at all start by walking 2-3 days a week for 15 minutes and gradually increase the number of days you walk and for how long. Some say that small amount of time does not make a difference, but if you are walking 0 minutes per week and start walking 45 minutes a week, then you are walking 45x the amount you were before. That is a big win!
Successfully controlling diabetes is about little wins that equal big wins! As a provider my approach to diabetes is different, to me it’s all about small successes that equal big wins in the long run!